Monday, July 6, 2009

Day 6 – July 11, 2008 – 4 PM



Ryan came by to get me at 7:30 this morning. He walked by, flashed a 5-minute sign, and went to get Kevin & Wendy. I was in the process of packing my stuff into my pack and was glad for the 5 minutes. I finished packing quickly and went to stand by the lake one more time. When Ryan, Kevin and Wendy came for me 15 minutes later I was ready to go back to camp. I was smiling and in a very cheerful mood. Betsy, Kristi and Jen were excited to hear how our solo went. I talked with Kristi one-on-one for a bit and then breakfast was called. We went over to eat and share our solo experiences with everyone. It was very emotional as we discussed the issues we spent time thinking about, and was also funny as we talked about various other things that happened – from Kevin’s pet marmot to the teen girls who were also on the lake.

We packed up camp and headed out on our 6 mile hike to a site near Bridal Veil Campground where our trip began. I stayed in the back with Kristi so we could continue our chat. Ryan had put an ace bandage on my knee and reminded me to keep taking the Advil. That way I could get the 6 miles with as little pain as possible.

As we were walking, Kevin, Wendy and Jen took off ahead and Betsy, Kristi and I took a slower pace in the back. Ryan and Jeff tried to stay about 10 minutes behind the group, but they kept catching up to us at breaks. At lunch they said they were actually staying with us a lot more than with other groups. Jeff said it’s because they like us so much. I think it’s more because they are worried about us. It’s been a tough week on everyone – very draining both physically and emotionally. I knew coming here it’d be tough – but I didn’t know it’d be THIS tough.

We actually started passing by a lot of people. By a lot I mean maybe 10. After 6 days of no one, it was great to see signs that we were almost out of the wilderness. Those 10 people had very little with them – just day packs. That was a very good sign in my book.

We started looking for a campsite. We checked out three different sites. As we were looking we passed a creek and there was a little snake. Kevin and I were like “cool – look – a snake.” Jeff was all over it trying to catch it and hold it. Meanwhile, Wendy is flipping out going “where, where?!” I was laughing hysterically at that. She was so tough all week and then the one time I was calm, she was flipping out. We really are polar opposites!!!

We got to camp around 3:30. By camp I mean an area with some flat surfaces just off the trail. It isn’t bad though. I’m parked on my mat under and between two trees. I’m thinking about sleeping without the tarp tonight. GASP! Not sure if I’m that brave yet, but I’m also really not sure if I have the energy to put up the tarp tonight! My knee is killing me and I am so tired. I actually fell asleep for a few minutes on my mat and other than the ants, nothing bothered me.

When we first got here, Jeff told us we were supposed to be at the top of the hill for camp. We asked if we had to move and he said no. He & Ryan however went to the top of the hill and set up “upper camp.”

Everyone is lying around camp relaxing. It’s the first day on the entire trip that we got to camp before dark and could actually enjoy some free time. We’ll even get to cook in daylight today!!!

My pants are super-loose. I think I’ve lost some weight this week. That’d be an added bonus.

Kristi and I keep making plans for tomorrow night and Sunday morning. It’s hard not to get excited or talk about it, even though we are supposed to “live in the moment” as Jeff keeps telling us.

No comments:

Post a Comment